“Why can’t I find a good steak in this town?” That was my question five years ago after moving out of the city to New Canaan with my wife and soon-to-be two kids. Fast forward and, fueled by a love of food and the enjoyment of cooking with healthy and local ingredients, I’m excited to open Custom Meats, a whole animal butchery, in Fairfield next month. Our family isn’t obsessive about it, but we appreciate the fact that eating well, eating organic, buying local product and supporting local farmers and farmer’s markets… when we can, this is the healthy option. With two kids, ages 4 and 5, it becomes an even more important issue. Custom Meats will source all our product locally with most meat raised less than 75 miles from our store. All our animals are pasture-raised, our beef is grass-fed, all dry-aging is done in house, and, since we’re a whole-animal butchery, all the preparation is done onsite ensuring we can satisfy any specification you desire.
I’m also excited and proud to add that we’ve had incredible partners thus far. The Connecticut farms with whom we’re working are excited to supply us, we’ve enlisted local graphic designers, web designers, and architects and even several New Canaan moms. Christina Saburro is serving as our photographer and Kirsten Arrix and Krista Tully of Company K are helping with store design. While it is early, there will be limited delivery to New Canaan so the distance should not dissuade you from enjoying all that we will have to offer!
Located at 1903 Post Road, we will be the only 100% locally-sourced, traditional whole animal butchery in Connecticut serving organic, non-GMO, nitrate-free, fresh, healthy meats. We source our beef, pork, lamb, and poultry from small farms in Connecticut and New York, most located within 75 miles of our store. Everything will be cut and prepared by us, in house, including dry-aged beef, sausages, and various prepared foods. We will also offer farm-fresh local eggs, raw milk, and seasonal vegetables. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram (below) @custommeats or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What we offer:
– Beef, pork, lamb, and poultry sourced entirely from small farms in Connecticut and New York, most located within 75 miles of our store
– Organic, non-GMO, nitrate-free, fresh and healthy meats
– Grass-fed beef spanning various breeds (Angus, Herefords, Charolais, Piedmontese) to ensure quality as well as exposure to variety
– Onsite dry-aging of select cuts of our beef
– Acorn-fed Berkshire pork
– Pastured chicken and lamb
– House-made sausages and kielbasa
– Seasonal offerings, such as turkey, heritage chickens, and rabbit
– Farm fresh local eggs and raw milk as well as seasonal vegetables
– House-made dog food and chew treats
– Classically-trained staff, friendly service and willingness to help educate our customers and introduce them to cuts that may be unfamiliar to them