Why are learning our math facts important? When students achieve automaticity with these facts, it enables them to retrieve them from long-term memory without conscious effort or attention. Fluency with math facts relieves math anxiety, affects performance and can make math problems easier to solve. It also leads to higher order math as a child’s working memory is freed up by being able to recall these facts.
With this being said, we came up with a Math Fact Race as a new way to practice math facts. For all those kids that are constantly moving and who learn by walking and moving their bodies, this is a game for them. For all those parents who need to have their kids expend their energy and get their bodies moving, you will love this game. Your kids will be having fun and learning at the same time.
– using my phone as a timer and seeing if they can beat their own score
– using all subtraction or all addition math facts
– using less cards but have them repeat the race more than once
– start from the beginning or move back a math fact if I see counting on their fingers
– when the get more comfortable with the math facts, have them go back to the beginning for a wrong answer
Video 3, portrays my 4 year old using this same game up the stairs with her sight words. Sight words also have to be committed to memory to free up kids’ working memory to work on fluency and decoding!
Click here to like our Facebook page
Click videos to play and to stop play